Serving Clients in Houston, West Houston, Southwest Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, Copperfield, Memorial, Spring, Northwest Houston, Northchase, Spring Cypress, Champion Forest, The Woodlands, Kingwood, Humble, Lake Houston, Midtown, Memorial, West Oaks, Royal Oaks, Clear Lake, League City, Westchase Business District, Harris County, and Galveston County.


Contact Our Houston Immigration Lawyers Regarding Specific Questions

What Type of Travel Documents Do I Need?

Foreign nationals paroled into the U.S. under refugee or asylum status, or a green card holder whose status was obtained through refugee or asylum, must obtain a Refugee Travel Document prior to departing the United States. Many permanent residents are unaware of this requirement because the USCIS often do not inquire into “how” the permanent alien obtain his or her residency status at the port of entry. Technically speaking, however, a refugee or asylum status, or a green card holder whose status was obtained through refugee or asylum, must apply for a travel document prior to departure. Please note, under INA Section 208(c)(2)(D); 8 U.S.C. Section 1158(c)(2)(D), a person that applied for asylum or refugee status after April 1, 1997 who intend to travel to the country in which the asylee claimed to have been persecuted may must file and obtain a refugee travel document. Failure to obtain a travel document prior to departing to the home country may be determined as voluntarily availing himself/herself to the protection of that country. Therefore, the USCIS or the Department of State may terminate such status. Finally, unlike the re-entry permit which has a validity period of two years, a refugee travel document is valid for only one (1) year. Please contact the Houston green card attorneys and the Houston green card lawyers to apply for travel documents, travel permits, and refugee travel documents.

Please contact the Houston Immigration Lawyers and the Houston Immigration Lawyers if you have any questions regarding green card applications. You are invited to contact the experienced Houston immigration attorneys of the Law Offices of Steven Tuan Pham at 713-517-6645. You can also submit an inquiry through our Houston Immigration Attorney’s Online Inquiry.


Immigration Law is a vast area of law and every situation is unique. You should NOT rely on the limited information on this general site in replacing a personal consultation with an experienced Houston Green Card Immigration Lawyer or an experienced Houston Adjustment of Status Attorney. There may be legal issues, depending on the facts and circumstances, that go to the merit of the case in which you may not be aware. Please feel free to give us a call at 713-517-6645 , or to contact us online, for more information. Call the Houston Immigration Green Card Application Lawyers and the Southwest Houston Adjustment of Status Application Lawyers at the Law Offices of Steven Tuan Pham. today at 713-517-6645 or complete our Online Contact Form. Our Houston Immigration Lawyers will contact you shortly.