Serving Clients in Houston, West Houston, Southwest Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, Copperfield, Memorial, Spring, Northwest Houston, Northchase, Spring Cypress, Champion Forest, The Woodlands, Kingwood, Humble, Lake Houston, Midtown, Memorial, West Oaks, Royal Oaks, Clear Lake, League City, Westchase Business District, Harris County, and Galveston County.


Contact Our Houston Immigration Lawyers Regarding Specific Questions

I am a green card holder how long can I remain outside USA without any problem when returning back to the USA?

Generally, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) shall determine that you have abandoned your immigration status as an LPR if you are outside the U.S. for 1 year or more (NOTE: 1 Year or more, and NOT over 1 year or over 2 years). If you intend to travel outside the U.S. for 1 year or more, you must obtain a reentry permit prior to departure. Previously, the application can be filed and the alien then can leave. However, the procedure now requires a biometrics and may also request an interview; and therefore, the applicant must stay in the U.S. file the application is pending.

In addition to the above, any permanent resident that travel outside the U.S. for 180 days or more may be determine to have abandoned their status, depending on the facts of each case (NOTE: I said 180 days or more, and NOT 6 months. 180 days is less than 6 months). As such, any LPR that is intending to travel outside the U.S. for 180 days or more should file an application to reentry permit and must demonstrate that they do not have the intent to abandon their status. In some circumstances, of a person already stayed outside the U.S. for 1 year or more may file an application for the USCIS to determine that you have not abandon your LPR status. Please contact the experienced Houston Immigration Lawyers and the Houston Travel Document and Reentry Permit Attorneys at the Law Offices of Steven Tuan Pham. for more details.


Immigration Law is a vast area of law and every situation is unique. You should NOT rely on the limited information on this general site in replacing a personal consultation with an experienced Houston Immigration Lawyer or an experienced U.S. Travel Document Immigration Attorney. There may be legal issues, depending on the facts and circumstances, that go to the merit of the case in which you may not be aware. Please feel free to give us a call at 713-517-6645 , or to contact us online, for more information. Call the Houston Immigration Reentry Permit Lawyers and the West Houston Travel Document Lawyers at the Law Offices of Steven Tuan Pham. today at 713-517-6645 or complete our Online Contact Form. Our Houston Immigration Lawyers will contact you shortly.